St. Colmcille’s National School is one of two national schools in the parish of Mullinavat. It is situated in the southern extreme of the parish and draws a portion of its pupils from the neighbouring parishes of Glenmore, Slieverue and Kilmacow.
The school was built in 1953 as a two-classroom building. A third room was added in the mid-sixties. Toilets and cloakrooms were added in the seventies. The school hall was added in the late nineties.
Major renovations to upgrade insulation, fire safety, rewiring and electricity, plumbing, and new windows were completed in summer 2011. Both classrooms also began using interactive whiteboards in the classroom, with the children in the older classroom using laptops for their schoolwork.
In summer 2013, work began on adding a large schoolyard extension. The new yard provides a level surface for the older children to play sports during lunchtime. The multi purpose space can be used for basketball and tennis and is a wonderful addition to the school.