Tips for Reading
Infants - 1st Class
1. Read to your child as often as you can.
2. Talk about books and characters.
3. Enrol your child in the local library.(Online)
4. Provide a good role model by reading yourself.
5. Accept your child’s efforts with praise.
6. Concentrate on what he /she got right.
7. Make reading together enjoyable.
2nd - 4th Class
1. Read to your child every day.
2. Read some of the books your child enjoys so you can discuss them with him/her.
3. Encourage your child to read to younger siblings.
4. Ensure that your child knows that you enjoy reading.
5. Make sure there is a wide variety of reading material in your home – newspapers, magazines, information, cookery books etc.
6. Encourage your child to visit the local library. (Online)
5th - 6th Class
1. Encourage your child to visit the local library. (Online)
2. Recognise and praise your child’s efforts in reading.
3. Ensure your child has access to a wide range of reading material – newspapers, magazines, guides etc.
4. Discuss ideas and points of view proposed by newspaper articles etc.
5. Ensure that you value and enjoy reading yourself.
6. Encourage your child to read for information – timetables / weather forecasts / menus